New Year, New You!
Helpful Tips to Help You Lose Weight
By Ena Kalkan
The start of a new year is just around the corner and as we continue our journeys into the year of 2016, everyone is making their own kinds of goals they wish to accomplish. Quit smoking, save money, eliminate stress from your life are just some of the top new year’s resolutions. Can you take a wild guess at what the top new year’s resolution is every year? Lose weight!
Here are some helpful tips to keep you on track to a healthier you in the new year
Even the tips that may seem like they have the least influence on losing weight can actually make the greatest effect. Take a look and read through some the tips to help you with your goal:
1. Drink more water. Think about grabbing the water bottle instead of the beer in the fridge or the wine sitting in the kitchen. Instead of getting sweet tea or coke at the restaurant, choose to drink water (maybe even with a slice lemon if you wish)! Water is essential in our everyday life and will not only help you lose weight, but helps the skin and ensures proper circulation of nutrients in your body. Water helps you detox your body by removing harmful toxins from your digestive tract.
– Side note: Drinking a cold water with a couple drops of lemon in the morning will help you wake up faster, freshen your breath, reduces the feeling of hunger, helps you get a large amount of vitamins and aids your digestive system. Try it out!
2. Meditate for five minutes. It doesn’t hurt to give this a shot! Meditating is all about focusing on one thing, such as your breathing or the sounds of the wilderness or an ocean, while blocking out other distractions. Benefits from meditating includes: less stress, better focus, more creativity, increased memory, etc. Take a couple minutes in your morning routine to try this tip out.
3. Watch a motivational video. This may seem a bit silly to some but this can really help you find the motivation you need to start working out. There are many videos such as this YouTube Channel by Mateusz M. Motivational videos can definitely be worth the couple of minutes spent watching to those who may have a hard time finding inspiration. Take a look!
4. Add a mini strength workout to your day. This is just as effective as hitting the gym. Look up mini strength workouts, such as doing squats and push-ups, to help you lose weight. The general rule to this is that each exercise should fatigue your muscles within 60-90 seconds. If not, you can add an additional resistance band, or resistance tube, for extra burn.
5. Bring your own lunch. Making your own lunch for work helps you eliminate those extra calories you find yourself consuming from restaurants or to-go places. You know exactly what you’ve made for lunch and you are in control of your own proportions and the calories you consume. Plus, you can save yourself a good amount of money in the long run bringing your own lunch every day!
6. Find a support system. Whether it’s finding support through a close friend or online through social media, it definitely helps having somebody who encourages you to continue your battle with losing weight. Research shows that having this support adds to success in weight loss. Always worth a try.
7. Sleeping is extremely important. From the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institutes website, “Sleep plays an important role in your physical health. For example, sleep is involved in healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels. Ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.” Continuing to have a good night’s rest has proven to show better results with an individual’s weight loss. How much sleep do you need? For adults, it’s recommended to have at least 7 to 9 hours of good, uninterrupted sleep.
8. Eat breakfast – cereal. Make an attempt to eat cereal every day in the morning. Studies have shown that people who eat cereal are less likely to be obese and less likely to have diabetes than those who don’t. People also consume more fiber and calcium when they eat cereal for breakfast and less fat than those who don’t.
9. Clean your home once a week! Not only will this make you feel great about your house and how clean it is, but this can actually help you lose some weight in the process. Whether you’re cleaning your bathroom thoroughly, vacuuming the entire house, or detailing your car you could find yourself burning a considerable amount of calories.
10. Keep a food log. This has proven to be effective in helping many people with their weight loss. When you find yourself writing down everything you’ve eaten in a day, you can see exactly what you’re consuming. This helps you feel more responsible for what you choose to eat, encourages you to avoid those little and most times unhealthy snacks, and most importantly, helps you meet your health goals!
Losing weight is no easy feat. It takes time, patience and a lot of energy and self-motivation. But once you’ve found yourself at your goal weight, it feels incredible. Losing weight can help solve many different health issues and can ultimately help you find a better life insurance rate. An agent at 1st Option Insurance will help you find a great rate by shopping the market for A or higher rated companies.
There are many, many useful tips to keep you on the path to successful weight loss. Keep them all in mind going into the new year.
Happy New Year from 1st Option Insurance!
Link attached for #3 – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJ-KJLPlRw90rGs_6XfmmQ
Citation for #7 – http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sdd/why